First, we will start with what you will need to create your cookie masterpiece:
Little Hands Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 Cup of unsalted butter (warmed to room temperature)
• 1 Cup of Sugar
• 1 Large Egg
• 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
• 3 Cups Flour
• ½ tbsp. Salt
• Cooling Rack
• Parchment Paper or SILP Pad
• The Outline of Your Children's Hand
• Rolling Pin
• Cookie Sheet
• Red Food Coloring (My favorite brand to use is Americolor!)
Father's Day Sugar Cookies Tutorial
1) Cream together the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
2) Step-by-step instructions for making and rolling your dough can be found at this link
Tip: Chill your dough in the freezer for two minutes before and after you cut out the shapes. It is much easier to work with firm dough.
4) After you've cut out the shapes, remove the excess dough around the cookies using a pointed spatula or a paring knife. (chill your dough again if you have to)
Tip: I would suggest wearing food-safe gloves when dying your dough, to avoid staining your hands.
6) To create the heart, use a very small heart-shaped cookie cutter or a paper paper template to cut out the hearts. My daughter’s hand is very small, so I just fashioned a small heart on paper and create a template to fit the cookie size.
8) Using the same template you used to create the hearts, cut out a heart shape in the middle of your dough hand shape.
9) Place the red hearts you previously cut out, into the middle of your hand cookies.
11) Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-10 minutes (depending on the thickness of your cookies) – or until the edges are a golden brown.
**The cookies on the picture below are packed in ours scribble design bags, but you can use just a clear cellophane bags to pack your treats. However, packing your treats in a self-adhesive lip bags will extend their shelf life with at least a week.